• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

mashed potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

usdathashield

Bluelighter
my friend and i were talking about them, and he said that if you mash them they loose all their vitamin c. are they healthy as long as you dont mound butter or salt too much on them>? thanks:)<3

is you friend a food scientist?
a nutritionist?

or just some dude talking out of his ass? No, they wont lose their vitamin C, but they don't really have much to begin with (an orange has about twice as much as a serving of potatoes).

my friend and i were talking about them, and he said that if you mash them they loose all their vitamin c. are they healthy as long as you dont mound butter or salt too much on them>? thanks:)<3
Anything (with vit C), when you cut in smaller pieces or mash, reduces its vit.C quality, since vitamin C oxidizes in exposure to air..... but if it is vit.C you are after, why just eat potatoes to get it, you can eat greens and citric fruit for it, since they are very high in vit.C, or squeeze a lemon in a glass of water and drink after breakfast each morning.
If you like mash potato but don't want to lose the nutrients, add what you lose, by suplements.

Last edited:
ah k was just making sure. and yeah my friend was mostly talking out of his ass. i do try to eat oranges and stuff too just i dont want to give up my twice a week mashed potatoes. he suggested i should drop em entirely, tho i dont think they are too bad.

Vitamin C is everywhere. The loss will replenished elsewhere.

Potatoes without the toppings are a good complex carb. Starchy foods are a good source of energy.

I prefer whole grains for my complex carbs and fiber.

ah k was just making sure. and yeah my friend was mostly talking out of his ass. i do try to eat oranges and stuff too just i dont want to give up my twice a week mashed potatoes. he suggested i should drop em entirely, tho i dont think they are too bad.
>>>>>]my friend was mostly talking out of his ass<<<<<Nop, he was not talking out of his ass!! He is right!!!

if you mix milk or milk powder in your mash potato, and add some finely chopped onion and grated cheese, of if you don't like milk (I love it in mash rather then water) if the water you add it into, (after you have boiled and mashed your potatoes) has been of freshly cooked chicken broth etc., it is both more nutricious and has more flavor.

Also have you tried boiling and mashing pumpkin, adding it in your potato mash in the end (much less then yur potato mash), gives it a very interesting taste as well as more nutritional value.

(Just my added $2 worth!)

Last edited:
is you friend a food scientist?
a nutritionist?

or just some dude talking out of his ass?

Ahah wow that seems a little harsh my friend. I'm definetly talking outta my mouth, er I mean through my hands as I'm typing if we're putting all our cards on the table and being 100% honest.

Somebody was saying how Vit. C is everywhere, but I woudn't have though a potato had much at all. I doubt just mashing the potato would not alter this much at all, if any. Mash away!

Ahah wow that seems a little harsh my friend. I'm definetly talking outta my mouth, er I mean through my hands as I'm typing if we're putting all our cards on the table and being 100% honest.

Somebody was saying how Vit. C is everywhere,
but I woudn't have though a potato had much at all.
I doubt just mashing the potato would not alter this much at all, if any. Mash away!

>I agree that was a harsh comment!but he likes to talk out of his ass.

>I also agree that vit. C is not just everywhere!

>I disagree with you that potato has no vitamin C at all!

Adequate Intake:vitamin C is 90 milligrams per day for men and 75 milligrams per day for women.

*Potato, baked with skin (1)=25mlg of vitamin C

*4 potatoes in skin suficient for mash(X4)=100mlg of vit. C (or 150 gm potatoes provide nearly half the daily adult requirement (100 mg)).

>I also disagree with you that mashing away, would not alter that much>considering vit.C oxidizes, and mashing exposes it to more oxidation!

Last edited:
Who gives half a flying bunny's ass?

Mashed potatoes are heavenly food, I don't care if they were even toxic.

You'll believe me once you've tried 'em the way I make 'em (with lots of butter and cream...).

Who gives half a flying bunny's ass?

Mashed potatoes are heavenly food, I don't care if they were even toxic.

You'll believe me once you've tried 'em the way I make 'em (with lots of butter and cream...).
>Who gives half a flying bunny's ass? <Obviously the OP did!

>Who gives half a flying bunny's ass?<That is an interesting idiom you have there, I have seen pink flying pigs around here, but not flying rabbits with half an ass!

>Everyone brags about their own cooking....and you use far too much cream in your mash...don't do it when you invite me for dinner!!!

>>>>>]my friend was mostly talking out of his ass<<<<<Nop, he was not talking out of his ass!! He is right!!!

)

Uh....I think he meant his friend was talking out of his ass by actually suggesting that he DROP mashed potatoes entirely. Which is kind of a dumb suggestion.

OP, continue eating your lovely mashed potatoes and like what PI said:

Vitamin C is everywhere. The loss will replenished elsewhere.

Potatoes without the toppings are a good complex carb. Starchy foods are a good source of energy.

I prefer whole grains for my complex carbs and fiber.

I prefer whole grains for my complex carbs too...but I get my vitamin C from yummy fresh fruit (not supplements).

Uh....I think he meant his friend was talking out of his ass by actually suggesting that he DROP mashed potatoes entirely. Which is kind of a dumb suggestion.

OP, continue eating your lovely mashed potatoes and like what PI said:

I prefer whole grains for my complex carbs too...but I get my vitamin C from yummy fresh fruit (not supplements).
QUOTE:panda Bear>> is you friend a food scientist? a nutritionist?
or just some dude talking out of his ass? No, they wont lose their vitamin C, but they don't really have much to begin with

QUOTE:usdathashield>>(( ah k was just making sure. and yeah my friend was mostly talking out of his ass. i do try to eat oranges and stuff . .))

^^^What I responded to was, on the response of panda bear and as the OP responded to that, and I took it that what his friend said, that (vitamin C exists in potatoes) (true) and( is destroyed by mashing it) (true)is not talking from his ass as was suggested, and as the op took it as true-at heart.

=Vit. C, does get destroyed by boiling and mashing.<<

There was no suggestion from me, to give up his mash at all. On the contrary, I even added to how to make it even more nutritional.

i dunno how much weight this actually holds, but someone told me that most of the vitamins & nutrients in potatoes are in the skin. maybe he meant if you remove the skin first...

QUOTE:panda Bear>> is you friend a food scientist? a nutritionist?
or just some dude talking out of his ass? No, they wont lose their vitamin C, but they don't really have much to begin with

QUOTE:usdathashield>>(( ah k was just making sure. and yeah my friend was mostly talking out of his ass. i do try to eat oranges and stuff . .))

^^^What I responded to was, on the response of panda bear and as the OP responded to that, and I took it that what his friend said, that (vitamin C exists in potatoes) (true) and( is destroyed by mashing it) (true)is not talking from his ass as was suggested, and as the op took it as true-at heart.

=Vit. C, does get destroyed by boiling and mashing.<<

There was no suggestion from me, to give up his mash at all. On the contrary, I even added to how to make it even more nutritional.

Ok. Your response was just confusing at first but thank you for clarifying. But I still think his friend was talking out of his ass. ;) And I never implied you suggested he give up his mash at all. I was referring to his friend . Good nutritional advice btw.

i dunno how much weight this actually holds, but someone told me that most of the vitamins & nutrients in potatoes are in the skin. maybe he meant if you remove the skin first...

When I used to eat baked potatoes, I'd eat the skin and all. Love it.

I'm sorry, I didn't read the last few contradictory posts, so I am just posting about mashed potatoes because I love them so much that I was inspired to respond. I have suggested mashed potato variations at the end of my post.

First off, mashed potatoes are good, but I wouldn't rely on mashed potatoes to provide me with a healthy daily amount of C. If you're worried about Vitamin C, eat more greens, citrus and take Emergen-C, or something similar like Barocca (sp.?) + C every day.

I love Emergen-C, so I had to add that. I love Barocca too, but I'm 'merkin so I only get Barocca when I'm in England or some other area where the English did scandalous colonial things. I think Barocca is heavy on the B vitamins, whereas Emergen-C is all about C.

But, back on topic… I prefer my mashed potatoes lumpy (not whipped) with scallions diced very small, and a bit of butter. Sometimes I'll add some milk to make my mashed potatoes more creamy.

I wanted to add that you can vary your mashed potato intake by combining the potatoes with all kinds of other roots: carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, parsnips (surprisingly good, but sweet, so don't over do it), rutabagas (also don't over do it; they'll be too bitter), or, the best of them all, celery root.

Celery root has tons of Vitamin C and is incredibly nutritious and tastes amazing when combined with potatoes. This is basically the reason I responded to this thread. Mashed celery root and potatoes is the best possible thing in all possible worlds. (Aside from plain mashed potatoes.) I can't recommend it highly enough. So very, very delicious.

Just make sure you boil or steam your celery root separately from your potatoes, because celery root is very dense and takes longer to become soft enough to mash. Please try this. You will be very happy that you did. Season it the same way: a little butter, maybe some milk if you're feeling it, and you can skip the scallions, it's good just the way it is. Celery root + mashed potatoes = Mmmm.

Good post artaxerxes!!! I also take Berocca sometimes when I need a boost .

Status
Not open for further replies.